FACTS ABOUT SWAZILAND
Map showing where Swaziland is in Southern Africa
The official figure is approx. 1.1 million. Approximately 53, 54 people per square kilometre.
Geography and Climate
Situated in Southern Africa, the Kingdom of Swaziland is landlocked in the east by Mozambique and on the other borders by South Africa. It has a subtropical climate with summer temperature of 15 degrees to 25 degrees Centigrade and 15 degrees to 19 degrees in winter. The rainfall at higher altitudes varies from 1 000 to 1 600mm while in the lower areas it is between 500 and 600mm. The country's highest point is Emlembe at 1 862m and the lowest at the Usuthu River at 21m. The country has a wide range of habitats and great variations in flora and fauna.
Mbabane is the administrative capital, with a population of 60 000. Manzini is the hub, situated next to Matsapha Industrial Estate. The population of Manzini is about 80 000. Lobamba is the legislative capital.
SiSwati and English are the official languages although English is used extensively in government and business. SiSwati is used every day by the majority of the population.
You are likely to see many Swazis dressed in colourful costumes featuring toga-like garments - the emahiya.
The majority (80 percent) of the people are Christian and the rest (20 percent) have indigenous beliefs.
Sugar, soft drink concentrates, citrus products and wood pulp are the major exports, mainly to South Africa from which the Kingdom of Swaziland receives almost (90 percent) of its imports. Tourism is one of the Kingdom of Swaziland's biggest industries.
King Mswati III is the sovereign head of the Kingdom of Swaziland. The affairs of the country are administered by the Prime Minister and Cabinet through a Parliament of elected members.